More on interesting fonts

The Greek Font Society has released a new font called Neohellenic. They released improved versions of existing fonts too (available here).

They seem to have fixed the problem with font names, that I pointed to on my last comment (Fontforge complains about font name mismatch, but Mac font names seem to be written using ASCII).

On the new release, I think Neohellenic is an interesting font, but it also has an issue. And I doubt whether it is a bug or a feature. The italic and bold italic faces don’t have the “a” glyph, they use “α” instead. And if this was not accidental, I don’t think is wise for the rest of us (whose mother language is not Greek).

Posted in Fonts. Comments Off on More on interesting fonts

Some interesting fonts

The Greek Font Society has released three fonts with Latin and Greek typefaces (donwload here). The work done shows professional quality and I guess there are more to come (but it is my personal guess).

But for some strange reason, I have problems with Didot (the typeface I like most). The TrueType version has the accented characters messed up. I checked it on W2K, MacOS X and GNU/Linux. And the OpenType version seems to have problems with font names. I have checked it only in GNU/Linux, but Fontforge complains about mismatch in the Windows and Mac font names (for some weird reason, the font names in Mac are written with CJK characters). I did inform the GFS about this and somehow they tried to fix it, but after reporting newer problems, I haven’t received any reply. I’m afraid it only happens to me and the fonts have wrong font names. If anyone could confirm this, it would be very helpful to send a more detailed bug report.

Posted in Fonts. 1 Comment »